Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
TB Woods (TBWC) skyrocketed 44.5% after the maker of industrial power transmission products agreed to sell itself to Altra Holdings (AIMC) for $24.80 a share -- a 46% premium to Friday's closing price. The deal will likely close in April. Shares of Pennsylvania-based TB Woods were rising $7.57 to $24.57. Altra was up 15 cents, or 0.9%, to $16.55.
Cleveland's Lesco (LSCO), which makes lawn care products, shot up by more than a third on news it will sell itself to farm-equipment maker Deere & Co. (DE) in a $14.50-a-share deal that will probably close within the second quarter. Lesco shares were gaining $3.82 to $14.25. Deere was slipping 69 cents to $113.24.
In more acquisition news, food distributor Smart & Final (SMF) said privately held Apollo Management will buy it for $22 a share, or about $812.9 million. As part of this venture, Apollo will buy out Smart & Final's majority shareholder, a subsidiary of France-based Casino Guichard-Perrachon, for a price to be determined by the amount of Smart & Final shares it owns at time of closing. The deal should close in the second quarter.
Los Angeles-based Smart & Final simultaneously reported plunging fourth-quarter profits of $5.1 million, or 16 cents a share, from $9.3 million, or 29 cents a share, a year ago. But shares were spiking $2.55, or 13.4%, to $21.61.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV