Osiris Therapeutics Takes a Bumpy Ride
In addition, 42% of the patients in the study had GVHD involving the skin only, which again, is easier to treat compared with GVHD affecting the GI tract or internal organs.
Osiris used a liberal definition of response to measure Prochymal's efficacy. In the study, a patient was measured for response on day 28 after treatment. Osiris says the complete response rate at that time point was 74%, double the historical rate.
But the study Osiris cites to make that comparison, published in 2002, defined complete response as total clinical resolution of GVHD at day 28, maintained for another 28 days without requiring any additional treatment.
There were nine patients in the Osiris study who required additional treatment after Prochymal to eliminate their GVHD, including four patients who Osiris deemed complete responders. These patients would not have counted as responders had Osiris used a stricter and more typical definition of efficacy.Mills defended the design and conduct of the Prochymal study. "We used an incredible
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV