Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
En Pointe Technologies (ENPT) shares were tanking after the computer-products distributor saw lower fiscal first-quarter sales -- $75.6 million, compared with $78.7 million last year -- due to sinking product revenue. The California-based outfit's bottom line was up year over year, with a profit of $272,000, or 4 cents a share, from losses of $997,000, or 14 cents a share, a year ago. Still, shares were sliding $1.62, or 25.9%, to $4.64.
Envoy Communications (ECGI) surged nearly 40% after it swung to a profit of $1.6 million, or 8 cents a share (US$1.4 million, or 7 cents), for the quarter ended Dec. 31. Last year the Canada-based marketing-services company lost $1.1 million, or a nickel a share. Shares were gaining $1.23, or 45.6%, to $3.93 on the Nasdaq.
R.G. Barry (DFZ) shot up after the Ohio-based footwear maker reported fiscal second-quarter profits of $20.3 million, or $1.96 a share, on sales that rose 11% from a year ago to $40.9 million. Last year the company made $4.8 million, or 46 cents a share. The company also upped its fiscal 2007 guidance, now foreseeing revenue growth of 6% to 8% vs. its previous prediction of a 5%-to-7% improvement. Shares were trading up $1.17, or 16.3%, to $8.36.
Medical-equipment maker Cynosure (CYNO) flew past Wall Street expectations for the fourth quarter, reporting earnings of $2.5 million, or 21 cents a share, excluding items, compared with $1.1 million, or 12 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were seeking 16 cents a share. Revenue ratcheted up 52% to $24.6 million from last year, topping the $20.9 million mean estimate. The Westford, Mass., company was rising $1.69, or 8.2%, to $22.40.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV