John Bogle Is Wrong About ETFs
Both have vastly outperformed the stock market since. The Energy Select SPDR is up about 45% since then, compared with just 20% or so for the S&P 500 index. (I should add that the Energy Select SPDR and other oil ETFs did even better than my do-it-yourself fund. So much for stock selection. My takeaway was, if you just want to bet on a sector, bet on the sector.)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Bogle's approach. It's better than most. If you don't really understand investing, or you don't have time to do all the homework, putting some money away in an index fund can be a great idea.
But if you are the kind of person who wants to manage your own investments, ETFs can be terrific. They often make better bets than buying individual stocks, with all the extra risk that entails.
What Bogle really seems to object to is people managing their own investments. He points out that many -- most, really -- do it poorly. That's true. But he then concludes no one should do it all. That doesn't follow.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV