Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
MasterCard (MA) shares dropped 12% after it warned that last year's increase in operating margin of nearly 3% might be hard to repeat next year. Shares were tanking $13.76 to $100.98.
New Century Financial (NEW) fell again after an analyst with Standard & Poor's cut the subprime mortgage lender's credit rating to BB- from BB, citing rising bad-debt trends. Shares were sinking $2.23, or 11.6%, to $17.01.
Kingsway Financial (KFS) slumped after the Canada-based insurer's fourth-quarter profits fell by more than half to $16.8 million, or 30 cents a share. Analysts with Ferris Baker Watts and CIBC World Markets downgraded the stock. Shares were falling $1.70, or 8%, to $19.64.
New York Stock Exchange (NYX) tumbled after a Goldman Sachs analyst cut the exchange's rating to neutral from buy, citing slower-than-expected volume growth on its new hybrid trading system. Shares were down $4.92, or 5.1%, to $92.32.Aon (AOC) rose after the health insurer said it earned $189 million, or 67 cents a share, from continuing operations in the latest quarter. The profits exclude items. Analysts were expecting 63 cents a share. The Chicago-based company was gaining $1.58, or 4.3%, to $38.01.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV