Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Applix (APLX) shares surged 19% after the software company reported its GAAP-based income more than doubled to $6 million, or 34 cents a share, in the fourth quarter. Excluding items, earnings came to $3 million, or 17 cents a share. A year ago the company reported earnings of $2.5 million, or 15 cents a share.
Revenue shot up 45% from a year ago to $16 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for 14 cents a share on revenue of $14.9 million. Shares of the Westborough, Mass., company were gaining $2.07 to $12.96.
Trio-Tech International (TRT), which makes semiconductor testing equipment, said its income from continuing operations totaled $799,000, or 25 cents a share, for the fiscal second quarter, up from a loss of $446,000, or 15 cents a share, last year. Last year, earnings available to common shareholders was higher, totaling $8.4 million, or $2.76 a share, but shares of the Van Nuys, Calif., company were rising $2.62, or 23.1%, to $13.98.
Jaco Electronics (JACO) swung to a profit in the quarter ended Dec. 31 and brought in a top line of $66 million, a 37% rise from last year. The Hauppauge, N.Y., electronics distributor had a profit of $149,000, or 2 cents a share, up from last year's heavy losses of $7.4 million, or $1.17 a share. Jaco stock was up 57 cents, or 16.6%, to $4.02.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV