Medical IPOs Sustain Discount Trend
Last year was an active one for medical IPOs, and this year looks likely to keep pace.
There were 36 medical companies that went public in 2006, the third-largest number since 1999 when IPO-tracking firm Renaissance Capital started keeping records.
However, 78% of those medical companies went public at a discount to insiders' hopes and underwriters' expectations -- the worst performance ever for medical IPOs, says Renaissance Capital. By contrast, only 32% of last year's 162 non-medical IPOs went public at discounted prices.
Renaissance Capital defines a discount as the difference between an IPO's offer price and the midpoint of the price range first pitched by underwriters. For example, if a company seeks a range of $9 to $11 a share and it goes public at $5, the discount is 50%.Medical IPOs, especially biotech offerings, are notorious for discounts. Even in 2000, the best year for medical IPOs, 44% of 80 public offerings were discounted. Last year, "investors' risk tolerance may not have changed, but they wanted a bigger reward," says Melanie Hase, a vice president at Renaissance Capital. In this case, a bigger reward translates into a discounted offer price because investors won't pay an underwriter's sticker price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV