Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Wellco Enterprises (WLC) soared more than 30% after the military-footwear maker agreed to be bought by privately held Golden Gate Capital for $14 a share. The transaction will probably close within the first half of 2007. The Waynesville, N.C., company's stock was rising $3.23 to $13.75.
SWS Group (SWS) careened past Wall Street expectations for the quarter ended Dec. 29. The Dallas-based broker had a $12.9 million profit from continuing operations, or 48 cents a share, compared with $8.1 million, or 33 cents a share, a year ago. The analyst who follows the company was looking for 39 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial. SWS stock was up $5.75, or 23%, to $30.71.
Intevac (IVAC), which makes equipment for production of hard-disk-drive components, more than doubled its fourth-quarter income to $21.3 million, or 97 cents a share, from $9.9 million, or 46 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue spiked to $95.9 million from $52.7 million a year ago, handily beating the $86.5 million consensus. The Santa Clara, Calif., company was gaining $5.36, or 23.8%, to $27.93.
Boston's Keane (KEA) was surging after Caritor, a fellow information-technology firm based in California, agreed to take it private for $854 million, or $14.30 a share -- a 19% premium to Tuesday's closing price. The deal will likely close in the second quarter. Shares were climbing $2.16, or 18%, to $14.16.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV