The EGL Has Crash-Landed
EGL (EAGL) plunged 18% after the freight company warned of weak fourth-quarter numbers, prompting the private equity sponsor of a planned buyout to drop its support for the bid.
Houston-based EGL, operator of the Eagle Global Logistics supply chain and transport business, said General Atlantic withdrew as a sponsor of a $36-a-share offer made by leading shareholder James R. Crane.
"General Atlantic indicated that its participation in the offer has been withdrawn," EGL said, "due to an expected shortfall in EGL's fourth-quarter 2006 results, as compared to amounts previously anticipated by analysts and by General Atlantic."
EGL expects to post an 8% year-over-year decline in revenue per shipment at its domestic freight forwarding division. The company cited a greater proportion of deferred heavy-weight airfreight and residential shipments during the traditional peak shipping season.Crane said he intends to present a revised offer after securing a new equity backer. EGL fell $6.94 to $30.95.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV