Tuesday's Financial Winners & Losers
International Securities Exchange (ISE) shares were up more than 8% after it posted fourth-quarter profits of $15.1 million, or 38 cents a share, compared with $10 million, or 26 cents a share, a year ago. The exchange also reported that its average daily volume for equity and index options contracts jumped 17.3% year over year. Shares were gaining $3.45 to $46.15.
MGIC Investment (MTG) and Radian Group (RDN) both surged on word that the insurers will merge to form a new company called MGIC Radian Financial Group. MGIC shares were rising $6.88, or 10.9%, to $69.81. Radian shares were up $5.50, or 9%, to $66.34.
Security Capital Assurance (SCA) jumped on better-than-expected fourth-quarter results. The insurer said it earned $37.1 million excluding items, or 58 cents a share, beating estimates by a penny. Shares were higher by $2.30, or 7.9%, to $31.32.
Infinity Property & Casualty (IPCC) raised its quarterly dividend by 20% to 9 cents a share. Shares were climbing 50 cents, or 1%, to $49.21.RenaissanceRe (RNR) rose after the Securities and Exchange Commission accepted its $15 million settlement offer in regard to an investigation of company restatements for 2001 through 2003. Shares were up 52 cents, or 1%, to $54.72. Allied Capital (ALD) fell on word the lender was subpoenaed by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia over its use of private investigators in a battle with short sellers. An analyst with AG Edwards cut the firm's rating to hold from buy. Shares were slipping 41 cents, or 1.4%, to $29.16. Thomas Weisel (TWPG) dropped on news that the broker's chief financial officer, Robert West, will leave on April 2. Shares were losing 37 cents, or 1.9%, to $18.77.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV