Wednesday's Early Winners & Losers
FEI (FEIC) stock jumped in after-hours trading Tuesday as the company, which makes equipment for nanotechnology development, posted impressive fourth-quarter financials. The Oregon-based outfit said profits from continuing operations totaled $11.9 million, or 30 cents a share, up sharply from $6.9 million, or 18 cents a share, a year ago. Sales ratcheted up 41% from a year ago to $140.3 million. Shares were gaining $2.85, or 11.3%, to $28.16.
Aspen Technology (AZPN) shares were climbing after the Cambridge, Mass., company said sales for the second fiscal quarter jumped 26% to $96.4 million from a year ago. The business-software firm hasn't yet provided per-share earnings figures, but GAAP-based income rose to $25.8 million from last year's $8.7 million. Shares were trading up $1.11, or 10.8%, to $11.40.
Brooks Automation (BRKS) saw dramatically higher income for the quarter ended Dec. 31 that squared with Wall Street expectations. Excluding items (save for stock-option expenses), the Chelmsford, Mass., company earned $26 million, or 35 cents a share, compared with break-even a share last year by the same measure. Sales vaulted 76.4% to $191.4 million from a year ago, beating estimates by about $4 million.
Looking ahead, the semiconductor company expects GAAP income to range between 25 cents and 30 cents a share on a top line of between $185 million and $190 million. Analysts are looking for revenue of $180.5 million. Shares were rising 94 cents, or 6.6%, to $15.15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV