Google Retools for the Battle With Microsoft
To that end, the company designs its applications with collaboration as the guiding post instead of as a "bolt-on" that is affixed as an afterthought. Kraus compared the superiority of that approach as similar to the superiority of Salesforce.com (CRM), a company that offers software as a service over the Internet, over Oracle's (ORCL) Siebel Systems unit, an incumbent in the field that has been struggling to catch up with its own tweaked service offering.
And while Google's free service may seem like an act of charity, the move is a shrewdly calculated one to deflate the value of Microsoft's biggest properties. It also comes at a time when Microsoft is aggressively ramping up its bid to cut into Google's bread-and-butter advertising revenue.
While the Redmond, Wash., giant has long plotted to march onto Google's turf, it should now expect a push on its own home front as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV