Google Retools for the Battle With Microsoft
To that end, the company designs its applications with collaboration as the guiding post instead of as a "bolt-on" that is affixed as an afterthought. Kraus compared the superiority of that approach as similar to the superiority of Salesforce.com (CRM), a company that offers software as a service over the Internet, over Oracle's (ORCL) Siebel Systems unit, an incumbent in the field that has been struggling to catch up with its own tweaked service offering.
And while Google's free service may seem like an act of charity, the move is a shrewdly calculated one to deflate the value of Microsoft's biggest properties. It also comes at a time when Microsoft is aggressively ramping up its bid to cut into Google's bread-and-butter advertising revenue.
While the Redmond, Wash., giant has long plotted to march onto Google's turf, it should now expect a push on its own home front as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV