Friday's Early Winners & Losers
Aviza Technology (AVZA) stock soared nearly 24% in extended trading Thursday after the California-based company more than doubled its sales and swung to a profit for the quarter ended Dec. 29. The maker of semiconductor capital equipment posted earnings of $1.1 million, or 7 cents a share, on revenue of $62.2 million. That compares with a loss of $4.6 million, or $1.25 a share, on $28.9 million in revenue a year ago. Shares were adding $1.06 to $5.50.
Secure Computing (SCUR) said fourth-quarter earnings totaled $5.3 million on a non-GAAP basis, or 7 cents a share, handily beating Street estimates that called for break-even, according to Thomson Financial. The San Jose, Calif., maker of network-security products took in $51.6 million revenue, falling just below the $55.8 million consensus. Last year, earnings were $6.7 million, or 17 cents a share, on sales of $30.2 million.
In the current quarter, the company expects to make between $2 million and $3 million on a non-GAAP basis, or 3 cents to 4 cents a share -- at least a penny above the mean target. Shares were up $1.29, or 19.1%, to $8.04.
Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) shares were leaping after the Sunnyvale, Calif., surgical-equipment maker's plunging profits comfortably topped Wall Street expectations. The company earned $23.6 million, or 62 cents a share, on revenue that climbed 56% to $112.6 million year over year. Last year, it had a profit of $49.5 million, or $1.31 a share. Analysts were looking for 51 cents a share on revenue of $105 million. Shares were gaining $16.18, or 16.3%, to $115.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV