Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Amtech Systems (ASYS), an Arizona-based company that makes equipment for semiconductor and solar-cell production, was rising on word of $3.5 million in new orders for thermal-processing and automation systems from two Asia-based solar-cell-industry customers. Shares were up 29 cents, or 4.4%, to $6.94.
Majesco Entertainment (COOL) tumbled after the video-game developer posted a non-GAAP loss of $1.7 million, or 7 cents a share, in the quarter ended Oct. 31. Losses narrowed considerably from last year's $34.2 million, or $1.54 a share, but two analysts were looking for only a 6-cent downside. Sales, which came to $21.5 million compared with last year's $4.6 million, handily beat the $13.8 million estimate. Also, full-year losses -- at $3.1 million, or 14 cents a share -- beat estimates by 2 cents. Still, shares of the Edison, N.J., company were falling 39 cents, or 19%, to $1.66.
Volterra Semiconductor (VLTR) shares receded after sales didn't meet Wall Street expectations. The Fremont, Calif., semiconductor maker brought in $21.2 million in revenue, or 57% more than it did a year ago, but analysts were seeking about $1 million more. Volterra beat income estimates by a penny, posting profits of $4.5 million, or 17 cents a share, excluding items. Last year's earnings totaled $1.2 million, or a nickel a share. Volterra stock was sliding $1.80, or 12%, to $13.20.
Independent Bank (IBCP) slipped on plummeting fourth-quarter income. The Michigan-based regional bank said it earned $1 million, or 4 cents a share, compared with last year's $11.2 million, or 47 cents a share. Full-year earnings were also lower, to $33.8 million, or $1.45 a share, down from $45.7 million, or $1.92 a share, in 2005. The bank blames the downtick on several factors, including falling interest income and goodwill impairment charges. Shares were down $1.71, or 7.2%, to $22.17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV