Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
General Employment Enterprises (JOB) surged after the staffing-services firm tripled its fiscal first-quarter income from last year to $296,000, or 6 cents a share. Revenue edged up 3% to $4.8 million year over year. The Illinois-based company's stock was rising 32 cents, or 17.2%, to $2.18.
Winland Electronics (WEX) jumped after the Mankato, Minn.-based company said it signed a yearlong contract with an unnamed customer to make an "innovative security product for law enforcement applications" that will potentially generate more than $1 million over the life of the agreement, depending on the customer's success at selling the product to municipalities and law enforcement outfits. Winland says it shipped $140,000 worth of the product to the customer in the last quarter and will ship $350,000 more in the current one. Shares were adding 40 cents, or 11.7%, to $3.82.
Alfacell (ACEL) was riding high on news that the Food and Drug Administration had granted its Onconase product orphan-drug designation for the treatment of malignant mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer. This will afford the Bloomfield, N.J., company seven years of marketing exclusivity should the FDA approve the drug for that use, as well as eligibility for tax credits, funding and other benefits. Alfacell is currently testing the product for the unresectable form of the disease (meaning those tumors that cannot be surgically removed) in a Phase IIIb trial. Shares were gaining 12 cents, or 7.4%, to $1.75.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV