Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Align Technology (ALGN) was surging more than 20% after the California-based maker of invisible braces said it lost only $11.7 million excluding items, or 19 cents a share, in all of 2006. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for a 43-cent per-share loss. Revenue, which came to $206.4 million, was almost in line with the mean target. In 2005 the company had earned $1.4 million, or 2 cents a share, on slightly higher revenue of $207.1 million. Shares were gaining $2.87 to $16.64.
Theragenics (TGX), which makes medical devices for cancer treatment and surgery, swung to a fourth-quarter and full-year profit -- successes that CEO M. Christine Jacobs attributes to a far more diversified line of products than what the company previously had. Revenue grew 30% to $14.8 million for the quarter and 22% to $54.1 million for the year, representing the company's highest-ever quarterly and annual sales, respectively. Full-year earnings came to $6.6 million, or 20 cents a share, up sharply from a 2005 loss of $29 million, or 93 cents a share. The Buford, Ga., company was trading up 71 cents, or 20.5%, to $4.17.
Compugen (CGEN) struck a deal with fellow Israeli company Teva (TEVA) for jointly discovering biomarkers that can indicate drug toxicity prior to clinical stages of drug development. First on the agenda will be those signifying nephrotoxicity, or toxicity of the kidney cells. Financial terms, if any, weren't disclosed, but Teva will have a license to use any discoveries for research and development, and Compugen will retain rights for commercialization and internal use. Compugen shares were climbing 33 cents, or 11.6%, to $3.18 in recent trading. Teva shares were unchanged.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV