Tuesday's Winners & Losers: Lexmark
Shares of Lexmark International (LXK) were among the NYSE's losers Tuesday, falling 6% after the printer maker posted mixed fourth-quarter results and gave a lower-than-expected guidance.
For the fourth quarter, Lexmark earned $89.9 million, or 91 cents a share, on revenue of $1.37 billion. Excluding certain items, earnings were $1.05 a share. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 95 cents a share, before items, on revenue of $1.38 billion. During the year-earlier period, the company earned $82.3 million, or 71 cents a share, on revenue of $1.37 billion.
Looking ahead, Lexmark forecast first-quarter adjusted earnings of 93 cents to $1.03 a share, below analysts' forecast of $1.04. The company anticipates a year-over-year revenue decline in the low- to mid-single digit percentage. Analysts project revenue of $1.28 billion, which is roughly flat with year-ago results. Shares of Lexmark were down $4.07 to $62.53.
Shares of 3M (MMM) fell 5% after the conglomerate issued a 2007 earnings guidance that disappointed investors. In the fourth quarter, 3M earned $1.18 billion, or $1.57 a share, on revenue of $5.78 billion. Excluding a gain on the sale of its pharmaceutical business, the company earned $1.10 a share. Analysts expected earnings of $1.14 a share, before items, on revenue of $5.76 billion. During the year-earlier quarter, 3M earned $746 million, or 97 cents a share, on revenue of $5.33 billion.For 2007, 3M forecast earnings of $5.20 to $5.45 a share. The guidance includes a gain of 60 cents to 70 cents a share for the sale of its pharmaceutical unit in Europe. The forecast also includes stock-based compensation costs of 21 cents a share. Analysts project earnings of $4.99 a share. Shares were trading down $3.53 to $75.43.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV