Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Short-Squeeze Seize
Click here for an archive of Cramer's "Mad Money" recaps.
Jim Cramer introduced a new game with new rules on his "Mad Money" TV show Tuesday, called short-busting.
The shorts are the people who bet against a stock, and short-busting is betting that the shorts are wrong, he explained. In a heavily shorted stock, when all shorts try to cover their shares at once, we call it a short squeeze, which causes the stock to jump.That's where short-busters make money, Cramer said. If you're going to ride the short bust, you must eye the stock's average daily volume, which reveals how hard it would be for shorts to close or cover their positions, he said. And if the shorts are deep, they'll drive up the price to get out with profits. Another important factor to look at is the insider buying of a shorted stock because a big shareholder buy lets people know that things are OK enough for them to join the crowd, Cramer continued. Though Cramer, when at his hedge fund, used to short stocks all the time, he still worried about losing money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV