Quality Distribution Plunges
Shares of Quality Distribution (QLTY) tumbled 19% Monday after the provider of bulk transportation services slashed its fourth-quarter profit projections and withdrew its guidance for 2007.
The company, citing softer-than-anticipated demand and a charge related to legacy environmental remediation projects, said it now expects fourth-quarter earnings of 3 cents to 7 cents a share. Its prior forecast called for earnings per share of 17 cents to 19 cents.
Analysts polled by Thomson Financial project earnings of 21 cents a share.
Quality Distribution estimates revenue, excluding fuel surcharges, of $640 million to $645 million, compared with its prior forecast of $645 million of $650 million.For the full year, Quality Distribution cut its earnings estimate to a range of 59 cents to 63 cents a share from its prior view of 74 cents to 76 cents. Analysts, on average, expected earnings of 79 cents a share. The company said demand remains weaker than expected, and it has experienced several recent events that may increase its insurance-related costs in 2007. As a result, the company withdrew its prior forecast for 2007 earnings of 95 cents to $1.05 a share. Quality Distribution said it will reassess issuing guidance when it has better visibility on industry trends and other factors affecting profits. The company will release fourth-quarter results Feb. 27. Shares recently were down $2.19 to $9.24.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV