Friday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of Technitrol (TNL) slumped 14% after the producer of electronic components posted disappointing fourth-quarter results and warned that first-quarter revenue would be below forecasts. The company posted earnings of $14.4 million, or 35 cents a share, on revenue of $236.1 million. Excluding items, the company earned 40 cents a share. Analysts expected earnings of 45 cents a share on revenue of $245.8 million. During the year-earlier period, the company earned $7.8 million, or 19 cents a share, on revenue of $184.5 million. Excluding items, the company earned 29 cents a share during the year-earlier period.
Looking ahead, Technitrol sees first-quarter revenue of $233 million to $236 million. Analysts project revenue of $242.5 million. Shares were trading down $3.51 to $22.40.
PLX Technology (PLXT) tumbled 12% after the chipmaker posted disappointing fourth-quarter earnings and warned that first-quarter revenue would be below expectations. The company earned $162,000, or a penny a share, on revenue of $21 million. Analysts expected earnings of 9 cents a share on revenue of $21 million. During the year-earlier quarter, the company earned $35,000, or less than a penny a share, on revenue of $15.3 million.
Looking ahead, PLX Technology sees first-quarter revenue of $18 million to $19 million. Analysts project revenue of $21.4 million. Shares were trading down $1.43 to $10.20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV