Wednesday's Financial Winners & Losers
National Interstate (NATL) shot up 21% after the Ohio-based insurer estimated fourth-quarter profit of between 54 cents and 60 cents a share, well above the Thomson Financial consensus estimate of 46 cents a share. The stock added $4.31 to $24.90.
EZCorp (EZPW) surged after reporting a 44% gain in fourth-quarter profit and exceeding analyst estimates. The pawn-shop lender earned $9.8 million, or 23 cents a share, up from $6.8 million, or 17 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts were looking for earnings of 20 cents a share. The stock rose $2.10, or 14.6%, to $16.47.
Raymond James (RJF) rose after the Florida-based broker reported a 32% gain in fiscal first-quarter earnings. The broker earned $59.4 million, or 50 cents a share, beating expectations by 3 cents. Gross revenue climbed 23% to $709.6 million. Shares were gaining 39 cents, or 1.2%, to $31.84.
TCF Financial (TCB) fell after fourth-quarter profit fell 16% and earnings fell short of analyst expectations at the Minnesota lender. The bank earned $53.7 million, or 42 cents a share. Wall Street was expecting 8 cents more. Shares fell 80 cents, or 3%, to $25.78.Cullen/Frost Bankers (CFR) dropped after earnings failed to meet Wall Street expectations. The Texas bank earned $48.4 million, or 84 cents a share, compared with $50 million, or 88 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts were looking for 87 cents. Shares declined 69 cents, or 1.3%, to $53.53.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV