Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Transcend Services (TRCR) was surging nearly 40% after the medical-transcription company swung to a profit in both the fourth quarter. For the quarter, profits totaled $762,000, or a dime a share, compared with a loss of $444,000, or 6 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue rose 23% from last year to $9 million. Shares were up $1.73 to $6.08.
Digital Music Group (DMGI) ballooned on news that the Sacramento, Calif.-based company, which buys, digitally processes and redistributes audio and video recordings, has struck a three-year deal to have its video files sold through Apple's (AAPL) iTunes store. Specific monetary terms weren't disclosed, but Apple will pay DMG "fixed wholesale prices" for all video downloads and DMG will remain responsible for paying any necessary third-party royalties. DMG shares were rising 60 cents, or 15.9%, to $4.39. Apple was recently trading up $1.19, or 1.4%, to $86.89.
Vertrue (VTRU) flew past Wall Street expectations for the quarter ended Dec. 31, posting earnings of $8.7 million, or 74 cents a share, up from $7.7 million, or 66 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for 64 cents. The Norwalk, Conn., Internet marketer's sales rose 12% to $178.6 million, slightly under the $180 million consensus. Shares were adding $3.76, or 9.4%, to $43.88.
Rockwell Medical Technologies (RMTI) jumped after it announced success in preclinical animal studies testing the safety of its iron-delivery compound soluble ferric pyrophosphate. The compound is meant to maintain iron balance in patients undergoing dialysis treatment for end-stage renal disease. Shares were gaining 54 cents, or 9.7%, to $6.09.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV