PIPE Deal Shines Up Sun
But if anything, the inquiry may have invigorated the market by driving out some of the bad actors and forcing the Wall Street firms that arrange PIPE deals to clean up their practices.
The list of most active PIPE investors continues to include familiar players such as Iroquois Capital, Cornell Capital, NIR Group and LH Financial -- outfits that invest exclusively in PIPEs of small-cap companies.
To some degree, the explosion in PIPE deals isn't surprising, given the willingness of Wall Street to lend money to companies. Last year was a banner year for the domestic IPO market and Wall Street firms sold a record amount of corporate bonds. The easy borrowing led to a frenzy of corporate mergers, including a record number of leveraged buyouts by KKR and its private equity peers.For a big company, a PIPE deal is an attractive way to raise money, especially when dealing with a handful of deep-pocketed investors: The negotiations tend to be quicker, and they all take place behind the scenes. PIPE deals also have been used as way to fund buyouts and partial buyouts. Indeed, the biggest single PIPE deal last year was a $2.4 billion financing transaction involving Sovereign Bancorp (SOV). The Philadelphia-based lender structured its controversial sale of a 20% equity stake to Spain's Grupo Santander (STD) as a PIPE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV