Hoku Scientific (HOKU) shares sank 2.6% after the supplier of material for solar panels swung to a quarterly loss, missing analysts' estimates.
The clean energy technology company lost $1.3 million, or 8 cents a share, compared with earnings of $202,000, or a penny a share, in the year-ago period.
Excluding certain items, the company would have lost $1 million, or 6 cents a share. Analysts were expecting Hoku to lose 2 cents a share.
Revenue for the quarter was $1.1 million compared with $1.7 million a year ago. Deferred revenue from customer prepayments was $1.7 million at the end of last year thanks to a contract with the U.S. Navy. This compares with $4 million in deferred revenue on March 31, which was mostly attributed to a $1.7 million contract with Nissan and a $2.1 million contract with the U.S. Navy.For its fourth quarter ending March 31, Hoku expects income of between $1 million and $1.2 million. It expects costs in the quarter to increase significantly due to efforts in growing its customer base and in executing its plans to enter the polysilicon and solar module markets. The stock lost 16 cents to $5.98 Wednesday, following the company's earnings report after the close of trading Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV