Wednesday's Early Winners & Losers
Ablest (AIH) climbed after it announced it may go private. Board member Charles Heist, Chief Executive Kurt Moore and The Burton Partnership have collaboratively offered to buy the Tampa, Fla., staffing-services company for $7.50 a share. Shares were adding 45 cents, or 6.4%, to $7.45.
Synergx Systems (SYNX) announced that its Casey Systems unit had won a $350,000 bid for its communications equipment to be used in three New York City subway stations. The Syosset, N.Y., small-cap was up a dime, or 6%, to $1.76.
Candela (CLZR) plunged after the Wayland, Mass., maker of laser-based cosmetic-surgery systems said it earned less than a quarter of what it did last year. Fiscal second-quarter earnings came to $1 million, or 4 cents a share, compared with $4.5 million, or 19 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue, at $37.4 million, was a hair below last year's sales. CEO Gerald Puorro conceded that the company's previous revenue growth target for fiscal 2007 was too optimistic and lowered it to between 7% and 9%, down from 15% to 18%. Shares were declining $2.15, or 18.1%, to $9.75.
Supertex (SUPX) also slid on narrowed profits, as the Sunnyvale, Calif., semiconductor-components maker posted profits of $5.5 million, or 39 cents a share, for the quarter ended Dec. 30. This compares with $3.7 million, or 26 cents a share, a year ago. Sales jumped 21% year over year to $24.1 million, but analysts were seeking $27 million. Shares were falling $3.93, or 10.6%, to $33.00.QLogic (QLGC), another California-based semiconductor company, likewise slipped on a steep decline in non-GAAP profits. Income came to $44.9 million, or 28 cents a share, compared with year-ago earnings of $31.4 million, or 19 cents a share. This beat the Street forecast of 26 cents, and the 22% revenue climb from last year, to $157.6 million, more or less reached the consensus. But shares were down $1.13, or 5.6%, to $18.99.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV