Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) shares sank 1.2% to $66.40 despite better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings.
Excluding certain charges, the company earned 81 cents a share, 2 cents higher than analysts' estimates. Revenue reached $13.68 billion, up from $12.61 billion last year and in line with analysts' estimates.
However, the company said its acquisition of Pfizer's (PFE) consumer health care group won't add to its earnings until 2009. Earnings per share in 2007 are expected to take a 12-cent hit, and 2008 earnings should be reduced by 3 cents, excluding certain items.
Shares of Novavax (NVAX) gained 4.4% to $4.27 after the company reported additional data on its pandemic flu vaccine after the close of trading Monday.Valeant Pharmaceuticals' (VRX) shares gained 3.2% to $17.66 after the company restated its third-quarter earnings to reflect stock option expense. Valeant and said it recorded a profit of $13.7 million, or 14 cents a share. The company lost $2.7 million, or 3 cents a share, in the third quarter a year ago. NitroMed (NTMD) gained 10.5% to $2.94 after the drugmaker said it named a new chief executive officer and chief financial officer. Former Millennium Pharmaceuticals (MLNM) executive vice president Kenneth Bate will serve as the company's CEO, and business consultant James Ham will be CFO. Among other health stock winners Tuesday were Bayer (BAY), up 1.9% to $57.20; Caraco Pharmaceutical (CPD), gaining 2.1% to $13.18; Noven Pharmaceuticals (NOVN), rising 2.7% to $26.33; and Neurocrine Biosciences (NBIX), jumping 6.7% to $13.82. Among the losers were Pfizer, whose shares fell 2.5% to $26.27; Genentech (DNA), off 1.1% to $87.91; Amgen (AMGN), down 1.4% to $74.80; Biogen Idec (BIIB), 1.9% lower to $49.24; and ImClone Systems (IMCL), sinking 3.7% to $28.07.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV