Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Niches (NICH) jumped 13% after the clothing maker more than doubled its profits in the quarter ended Nov. 30. The company earned $1.3 million, or 26 cents a share, on sales of $35.4 million. In the same period a year ago, the San Diego-based company earned $520,000, or 14 cents a share, on $14.7 million in sales. Shares were rising 92 cents to $7.84.
Network Engines (NENG) was rising after the Canton, Mass.-based security-server maker was selected to handle technical support for Microsoft's (MSFT) recently acquired Whale Communications subsidiary. Terms of the deal weren't specified. Network Engines shares were adding 31 cents, or 13.4%, to $2.65. Microsoft was recently up 4 cents to $30.76.
Twin Disc (TWIN) climbed after the maker of power-transmission equipment raised its dividend and posted second-quarter sales and earnings that were the best in its history. Shares of the Racine, Wis.-based company were up $5.59, or 16.9%, to $38.67.
Bolt Technology (BTJ), a Norwalk, Conn., company that develops seismic energy systems for oil and gas exploration, said it earned $2.4 million, or 42 cents a share, in the second quarter. The company earned $897,000, or 16 cents a share, last year. Sales surged 87% from a year ago to $12.3 million. Shares were trading up $2.08, or 11.5%, to $20.13.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV