Monday's Small-Cap Winners and Losers
SigmaTel (SGTL) jumped on news that its SGTV5800 system, which uses a single chip to simplify several audio television processes, will be used in Samsung Electronics TVs. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed, but TVs containing the processor will probably begin shipping within the first quarter. Shares were gaining 36 cents, or 9.8%, to $4.03.
Moscow CableCom (MOCC) was higher after its largest shareholder, Renova Media Enterprises (of Russian asset-management firm Renova Group) raised its buyout offer for the cable company to $12 a share from an initial $10.80 bid announced in November. Shares were adding $1.28, or 12.8%, to $11.30.
Enova Systems (ENA) rose after the maker of eco-friendly power systems signed a contract with Smith Electric Vehicles, a division of Britain's Tanfield Group, for use of Enova's electric drive systems in several Smith zero-emissions vehicle designs. The Torrance, Calif., company also expects to sign an exclusive agreement to sell to Tanfield at least 200 electric-drive trains this year. Enova shares were up 40 cents, or 10.1%, to $4.35.
CanTV (VNT) fell after Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez said his government won't pay market price when it seizes control of the Venezuela-based telecommunications company, and additionally began the takeover process without prior compensation to Verizon (VZ), which owns a quarter of the firm. Chavez's plans were first made known earlier this month. CanTV shares were losing $2.24, or 16.6%, to $11.25. Verizon shares were recently down 7 cents to $37.18.PetMed Express (PETS) slid after its fourth-quarter income -- $2.8 million, or 11 cents a share -- missed estimates by 2 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial. The results are essentially flat with last year. Revenue, at $31.4 million, was slightly above estimates, but the Florida-based pet-health-care company was off $2, or 14.5%, to $11.81.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV