Investing in a Post-Fidel Cuba
For decades, corporate America has been hoping that Fidel Castro's departure would bring an end to the trade embargo, opening the country to U.S. investment.
Almost six months after the Cuban leader stepped aside, temporarily handing over the reins to his brother, there are no signs of a transition to democracy or a market economy. But a tiny closed-end mutual fund run out of Miami is already cashing in. The $14 million Herzfeld (CUBA)Caribbean Basin Fund (CUBA) invests at least 80% of its assets in companies that derive substantial revenue from operations in the Caribbean region.
"We are invested in companies that are doing well now, that will continue to do well, and will get significant new business if the embargo is lifted," says Thomas J. Herzfeld, president and chairman of the fund's eponymous adviser.
The Caribbean Basin Fund's share price has more than doubled since Castro fell ill this summer. Over the 12 months ended Jan. 18, it has returned 135%, making it the highest-returning closed-end fund over the past year, according to the Closed End Fund Association.The fund is not exactly a pure play on Cuba, since the embargo prevents any U.S. company from investing directly in the island nation. But Herzfeld says each of the companies it's invested in has the potential to significantly increase its business if the embargo is lifted. For example, Florida East Coast Industries (FLA), the fund's largest holding at 18.73% of assets, operates 351 miles of freight railroad between Jacksonville and Miami. Herzfeld believes that a large portion of the U.S. freight that would make its way to Cuba if the embargo is lifted would have to use those rails.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV