Friday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of JDS Uniphase (JDSU) were among technology's winners Friday, rising 9% after the networking equipment company boosted its second-quarter revenue projection.
For the period ended Dec. 31, the company estimates revenue of $360 million to $365 million, up from an earlier view of $332 million to $352 million. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call project revenue of $342 million.
"JDSU's communications test and measurement segment performed particularly well during the second quarter, benefiting from seasonal strength associated with customer spending patterns and improved execution relative to the previous quarter," the company said. JDSU plans to release its second-quarter results Jan. 31. Shares were trading up $1.40 to $17.19.
Easylink (EASY) jumped 18% after Internet Commerce (ICCA) offered to buy the company for $5 a share in stock or cash. The offer, valued at about $60 million, represents a 38% premium to Easylink's Thursday closing price of $3.63. Internet Commerce would also assume about $5 million in debt should the offer be accepted. Internet Commerce said it wants a response to proposal by Jan. 23. Shares of Easylink were up 66 cents to $4.29.Though the company posted better-than-expected fourth-quarter results, shares of IBM (IBM) were sliding 3%. The company earned $3.54 billion, or $2.31 a share, on revenue of $26.3 billion in the fourth quarter. The results included a tax benefit of 6 cents a share and 5 cents a share in discontinued operations. Analysts expected earnings of $2.19 a share on revenue of $25.7 billion. A year earlier, Big Blue earned $3.19 billion, or $1.99 a share, on revenue of $24.4 billion. Shares were trading down $2.23 to $96.22.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV