Make Money on the New Mercenary Army
So now here we are again, basically at the IPO price. What do you get on the do-over?
Well, DynCorp is certainly a best-of-breed company as the leading provider of civilian police forces overseas -- sometimes known as peacekeepers -- under contracts with the Department of State. It has expanded to provide personal protective services, drug-eradication services and brute force not just for the U.S. government but also for foreign clients such as the United Arab Emirates, Australia, Nigeria and Afghanistan. And its oldest division continues to perform aircraft maintenance work at U.S. military bases worldwide. All told, it has 14,000 people working in 35 countries.
The new sizzle at the company has come not from its biceps but from its brains, as a joint venture in which it is the lead partner won a massive $4.6 billion contract to provide translation services in Iraq. Its new Global Linguists Solutions division, in conjunction with privately held McNeil Technologies, will add materially to fiscal 2008 earnings. The contract, renewable in 20 quarterly installments, calls for DynCorp to provide 6,000 translators in Iraq and up to 1,000 additional U.S. citizens who speak various Arab and Persian dialects to the U.S. Army and other government agencies.
Of course, there is some hair on the story. The linguistics contract was yanked from the Titan division of L-3 Communications (LLL), which has lodged a protest. And DynCorp may not be able to fulfill the contract requirements, as Baghdad is not exactly a safe work environment: Titan has reportedly lost 216 employees in the war so far.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV