Make Money on the New Mercenary Army
If this gives you a chill, look at the bright side. It gives you the opportunity to be an entirely new type of war profiteer. No longer must you make money merely in the bloodless tailwind of mega-cap equipment vendors such as Lockheed Martin (LMT) and General Dynamics (GD). You've now got a chance to make a few bucks off the men and women who actually shoot to kill. It's a capitalist version of 24, without the commercial breaks.
The most interesting and potentially lucrative of the bunch, in my opinion, has the deliciously bland name of DynCorp International (DCP). Really, it's like giving the name Spot to a vicious Doberman, or meeting a mobster with the name John Smith.
DynCorp has been around for five decades, starting as a U.S. Air Force logistics and mission support provider in California and then progressing through a series of mergers into an international provider of defense and aerospace services. In 2003, the company was acquired by major Pentagon information technology provider Computer Services (CSC), but then it was, in rapid succession, sold to the defense-focused private equity firm Veritas Capital and then spun out as a separate company in an initial public offering last May.
Back Where We StartedThe market shot the IPO full of holes after an abrupt management change, and shares sank from $15 to around $8.75 in three months. Yet before executives had a chance to retaliate by sending a brigade of employees on a mission to fire back at Wall Street, DynCorp won a couple of large and lucrative contracts and rather quickly doubled in value to $16.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV