Stockpickr: You Can Trade Like Bill Gates
What do you do if you have $50 billion in net worth and almost all of it is tied up in a tech, formerly high-growth company? Let's say that company was Microsoft (MSFT), and you were Bill Gates. How would you diversify?
Cascade Investment is a private equity firm owned by Gates, his investment vehicle outside of Microsoft. (You can see Cascade's complete list of holdings on Stockpickr by clicking here.) Whenever he sells shares of Microsoft and he's not sending that money immediately to charity, it probably finds its way to Cascade, where he diversifies into stocks as far from Microsoft as can be imagined.
At Cascade, you can clearly see the influence of Warren Buffett. (Click here to see Warren Buffett's Stockpickr page and his top and recently changed holdings.) Their portfolios don't overlap much -- although both own Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA) stock, where Gates is a director -- but they do have a few qualities in common:
- A focused portfolio: Cascade has $3.6 billion in investments in only 10 holdings; Buffett has long been a proponent of maintaining focus, as there are only so many companies an investor can really study at a time.
- Very consistent earnings and growth.
- Boring businesses.
- Sometimes, good brands.
|Republic Services (RSG)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV