Friday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) were among technology's losers Friday, sinking 11% after the chipmaker warned that fourth-quarter operating income would be "substantially" below third-quarter results. It also projected revenue below Wall Street's forecast.
AMD said its results were hampered by significantly lower microprocessor average selling prices, which offset increases in unit sales. The company estimates that revenue increased by about 3% on a sequential basis, which would yield a top line of about $1.37 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call project fourth-quarter earnings of 22 cents a share and revenue of $1.85 billion. Shares were trading down $2.26 to $17.92 on extremely heavy volume.
PDF Solutions (PDFS) slid 11% after the software company cut its fourth-quarter earnings projection. The company expects to report adjusted earnings of 5 cents to 7 cents a share, down from an earlier forecast of 13 cents to 15 cents a share. PDF estimates revenue of $18.7 million to $19.1 million, below an earlier projection of $21 million to $22.5 million. Analysts had forecast earnings of 14 cents a share and revenue of $21.8 million.
"We are disappointed to announce preliminary financial fourth quarter results that are below our prior guidance," the company said. "For the first time ever, a letter of agreement for an integrated yield ramp engagement, received from a new customer during the third quarter of 2006, did not culminate in a full definitive agreement." Shares were down $1.44 to $11.41.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV