The Valuation Game
Just because a stock is going up doesn't mean that the bulls are right. For the bulls to be right, the stock price has to stay up. Short-term price action in markets and individual securities is validation of nothing.
There are multiple short-term forces at work distorting the price of all asset classes. Stocks do have definable value, even tech stocks, and this discipline requires strict adherence for both risk management and portfolio return maximization.
The stock market is, after all, a mechanism for valuing businesses. From practitioners of technical analysis to growth fund managers to television personalities, many factors distort the valuation of the businesses in the short term. My goal is to use these "dislocations" to establish profitable longer-term positions -- and to explain my rationale so you may do the same.
In this pursuit, I am lucky because I am a disagreeable individual. It isn't a conscious choice; I just don't play well with others. Even my friends just tolerate me because they need someone to drink with or beat them at tennis. When it comes to investing, my personality has proven an advantage. If there is one certain way to have a unique approach and a less market-correlated performance, it is to run counter to the trend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV