Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Houston's Stage Stores (SSI), a department-store operator, announced a 3-for-2 stock split and set plans to buy back up to $50 million worth of its shares. Stage also said it will likely bring in 2007 revenue between $1.61 billion and $1.64 billion, above the $1.57 billion consensus. Earnings per share, which reflect the stock split, are expected at $1.47 to $1.57. Shares were adding $2.85, or 9.6%, to $32.48.
CanTV (VNT) plummeted after Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said he would put the telecom company under government control. Verizon (VZ) owns a quarter of the Venezuelan firm. CanTV shares were sinking $4.58, or 27%, to $12.26.
Spectrum Control (SPEC) sank after the electronics-systems maker posted disappointing fiscal fourth-quarter earnings. The Fairview, Pa., company nearly doubled its profits to $2 million, or 15 cents a share, from $1.1 million, or 8 cents a share, a year ago, but the results fell short of the company's prior guidance. Revenue, at $35 million, represents a 38% climb and beat Spectrum's previous forecast by $1 million. Shares were down 97 cents, or 9%, to $9.78.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV