Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Lenox Group (LNX) was diving more than 35% after the housewares maker drastically slashed its full-year guidance and announced that Chairwoman and CEO Susan Engel had left the company. The CEO post will be temporarily assumed by Carl Marks Advisory Group partner Marc Pfefferle, who, the company highlighted, has years of experience in corporate restructuring. Eden Prairie, Minn.-based Lenox now expects to lose between 20 cents and 30 cents a share in 2006, down from its previous profit forecast of between 35 cents and 45 cents a share. Taking into account several items, including a goodwill impairment charge, Lenox predicts a loss of $2.07 to $2.17 a share. Shares were plunging $2.36 to $4.27.
Cleveland-based Datatrak International (DATA) rocketed on news that the company, which sells technology services for the purpose of clinical trials, had been awarded contracts worth $4.7 million -- 18 in total -- by seven different trial sponsors in the U.S. and in Europe. Shares were adding $1.01, or 20%, to $6.07.
Saba Software (SABA) shares were leaping after the company reported growth in its fiscal second-quarter profits. On an adjusted basis, the company, which makes educational software for business professionals, earned $2 million, or 7 cents a share, compared with $694,000, or 4 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for 6 cents a share. Revenue climbed 67% to $27.8 million. Looking ahead, the company expects adjusted profits of 7 cents to 10 cents a share next quarter. The consensus estimate is 10 cents. Shares of the Redwood Shores, Calif.-based company were gaining 75 cents, or 12.2%, to $6.89.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV