Wednesday's Health Winners and Losers
Shares of adult stem cell company Osiris Therapeutics (OSIR) took a hit on a downgrade from a Jefferies & Co. analyst Wednesday.
"While we continue to believe OSIR provides long-term potential for its adult stem cell technology, we step to the sidelines for a better entry point," said biotech analyst Eun Yang, who downgraded the stock to hold from buy. Shares sank 8% to $23.29.
Under the deal, Quest will assist Ciphergen in the development of the blood-based test. The companies previously agreed to jointly develop a test to detect ovarian tumors.Biotechnology company Exelixis (EXEL) said it will get $40 million in upfront and milestone payments in a cancer drug development deal with Genentech (DNA). Under the deal, Exelixis will develop the drug, dubbed XL518, after which Genentech has the option to further develop the drug for additional payments and development costs. Exelixis shares gained 4.6% to $9.41, and Genentech's shares were up 0.9% to $81.86. Shares of Cytokinetics (CYTK) soared after its partner Amgen (AMGN) set plans to work on a new heart failure treatment. Amgen will pay Cytokinetics an upfront payment of $42 million for licensing and access to its technology. It will purchase 3.5 million Cytokinetics shares at $9.47 a share. Cytokinetics shares gained 13% to $8.45, and Amgen's shares were up 0.6% to $68.73.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV