Cytokinetics Scores Amgen Deal
Amgen will pay Cytokinetics an upfront payment of $42 million for licensing and access to its technology. It will purchase 3.5 million Cytokinetics shares at $9.47 a share.
Cytokinetics stock were gaining 14.2% to $8.54, while Amgen's shares rose 1.6% to $69.37.
The collaboration, which is worldwide outside of Japan, involves the discovery, development and marketing of a new treatment intended to activate heart muscle contractions. During the first two years of the plan, Cytokinetics will fund its own research. If the drug's development meets predefined criteria and certain other conditions are satisfied, Amgen will exercise an option to take over development and pay Cytokinetics a $50 million exercise fee.Cytokinetics may also be eligible to receive payments of up to $600 million related to its lead drug, called CK-1827452, and other treatments developed as a result of the research. It may also receive royalties on sales of the drugs, and increase royalty gains if it helps fund late-stage human trials. In that case, Cytokinetics could co-promote its drugs in North America at Amgen's expense. If Amgen chooses not to exercise its option, the collaboration agreement would end and Cytokinetics may choose to independently develop the drug.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV