IPOs Served Hot & Spicy
"Burrito Bowls" took investors by storm in 2006.
Investors are still chomping at the bit for shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), which have more than doubled since the Mexican restaurant chain's IPO last January.
The Chipotle initial public offering, which raised $199.3 million for the Denver-based company, marked a strong beginning to what proved to be a solid year for new stock offerings. The year ended on a high note, after suffering through a bit of an IPO drought during the summer months.
In all, 250 companies went public in the U.S. in 2006, raising $49.8 billion, Dealogic says. That's a 23% gain over 2005 and the second-best year for the IPO market since the height of the dot-com boom in 2000.But the domestic IPO market still faces an uncertain future in 2007, as an increasing number of foreign companies are deciding not to list their shares on either the New York Stock Exchange (NYX) or Nasdaq Stock Market (NDAQ). Rather, many European companies are choosing to list on overseas exchanges, which are not bound by strict U.S. regulatory mandates. One thing that could fuel the IPO market in 2007 is the red-hot private equity business, which has taken a record number of companies private over the past two years. In the coming months, some of the buyout firms may look to cash in their chips by throwing their debt-laden acquisitions back into the marketplace.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV