The LBO Puncture Wound
The last thing private equity firms would seem to need these days is some coaxing from Wall Street investment banks to pull off another super-sized leveraged buyout.
Buyout firms are having
Yet that's not stopping investment bankers from pushing companies into so-called stapled financing deals -- prepackaged debt offerings that are often used to stoke the interest of reluctant buyout firms. Not surprisingly, the investment bankers recommending this strategy to their merger clients are often the same ones putting these stapled financing deals together and then peddling them to the buyout crowd.
Stapled financing is something bankers dreamed up four years ago when the merger market was moribund and buyout firms had a hard time lining up financing for a transaction. The bankers argue that these ready-made packages of bonds and loans are a good way of showing buyout firms just how easy it is to get financing for a deal.But stapled financing presents an obvious conflict of interest for Wall Street bankers. It's never a good policy for an investment bank that's advising a company on a takeover to get too chummy with any of the potential buyers. Still, stapled financing was seen as a necessary evil given the difficult environment for LBOs at the beginning of the decade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV