Agonies, Ecstasies in Stocks for 2006
For all of the complexity that appears to underpin investing, very often success is a matter of simply mastering the art of the obvious. The big trends that made a lot of money over the past year were so clear, in fact, that it's a wonder we aren't all billionaires already.
It was plain as day, was it not, that shares of larger companies were due for a recovery in 2006 after six and a half years of bullying by the shares of smaller companies? That the price of oil would collapse after peaking three times at around $75 by midyear? That shares of homebuilders and banks would rally in celebration once the Federal Reserve stopped its campaign of raising interest rates this summer?
Sheesh, come on: Where's your Porsche?
It's my job to make certain that you see the big events unfold in real time and understand quickly how to benefit from them. And for the most part this year, I was not entirely unhelpful. But you be the judge: This week, let me update you on the ideas that I provided in 2006 and tell you whether it's time to add shares of the winners or take losses on losers. Then next week, I'll scan the horizon for the big surprises and themes of 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV