Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Champion Industries (CHMP), a commercial printer and office-supplies distributor, soared 23% on sharply higher income for the quarter and year ended Oct. 31. In the fourth fiscal quarter, the Huntington, W.Va.-based company said it earned $2 million, or 20 cents a share, compared with $569,000, or 6 cents a share, a year ago. Shares were up $1.55 to $8.30.
AsiaInfo (ASIA) jumped after the China-based software company said it had inked a deal with China Telecom (CHA) to upgrade the business support systems of four of its subsidiaries. Terms weren't specified. Shares were rising $1.48, or 22.5%, to $8.06.
Software maker Openwave Systems (OPWV) gained after Harbinger Capital Partners, its second-largest shareholder, said it would attempt to put two of its own people on the company's board. Harbinger has filed a preliminary proxy with the Securities and Exchange Commission for the election of James Zucco and Andrew Breen at Openwave's Jan. 17 annual meeting. If successful, Harbinger says Zucco and Breen will recommend a tight focus on Openwave's most strategic core products, cost-cutting and an immediate share repurchase program. Shares were adding 82 cents, or 9.3%, to $9.64.
CDC (CHINA) rose on an upgrade by an Oppenherimer analyst to equal-weight from underweight. The China-based software maker was up 75 cents, or 8.9%, to $9.14.Sento (SNTO) fell further, following Wednesday's extended-trading drop, after the Salt Lake City-based customer-service company swung to a fiscal second-quarter loss. Revenue for the quarter ended Sept. 30 rose 39% to $13.6 million, but the company still lost $2.6 million, or 65 cents a share. This compares with income of $310,000, or 8 cents a share, a year ago. Shares were down by 76 cents, or 23.5%, to $2.48.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV