Thursday's Early Winners & Losers
Threshold Pharmaceuticals (THLD) jumped more than 15% in extended trading Wednesday after the Redwood City, Calif., company announced positive results for midphase testing of its advanced pancreatic cancer treatment. The company said its combination of glufosfamide and gemcitabine induced partial response -- defined here as a 30% combined shrinkage of the largest-diameter target lesions -- in 21% of patients tested. Stable disease was seen in 36% of the test subjects. The drug combination also was "generally well tolerated," Threshold said, "with no new unexpected adverse events."
In one possible piece of bad news, Threshold added that the drugs may jointly induce slightly more treatment-related nephrotoxicity, or toxicity to kidney cells, than either drug would do alone. But shares were trading up 50 cents, or 15.6%, to $3.70.
On2 Technologies (ONT) gained after an analyst with ThinkEquity Partners began coverage on the video compression technology firm with a buy rating, targeting a per-share price of $1.40. Shares of the Clifton Park, N.Y.-based company were adding 4 cents, or 3.7%, to $1.13.
Salt Lake City's Sento (SNTO) tanked after it swung to a fiscal second-quarter loss. The customer-service small-cap said it lost $2.6 million, or 65 cents a share, in the quarter ended Sept. 30, down from a $310,000 profit, or 8 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue rose 39% to $13.6 million -- which, the company pointed out, topped its own earlier target range of $12 million to $12.5 million. Shares were losing 63 cents, or 19.4%, to $2.61.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV