Wednesday's Tech Winners & Losers
Apple (AAPL) shares fell nearly 6% Wednesday after a legal news Web site reported that the computer company may have falsified stock options documents. Law.com ran a report from The Recorder that stated federal prosecutors are looking at stock options documents at Apple "that were apparently falsified by company officials to maximize the profitability of option grants to executives."
The report also stated that Apple CEO Steve Jobs recently hired his own legal counsel to deal with the Justice Department and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Shares of Apple were down $3.25, or 4%, at $78.26 in recent trading Wednesday.
Savvis (SVVS) was trading 5.5% lower Wednesday, giving back its previous day's gains when it announced it would sell its content delivery services unit to Level 3 Communications (LVLT) for roughly $135 million. Savvis was lower in recent trading Wednesday by $1.91, or 5.2%, at $35.11. Level 3, meanwhile, was trading up 16 cents, or 2.9%, at $5.75.
IBM (IBM) climbed about 1.5% on an analyst upgrade Wednesday. ThinkEquity Partners upgraded the stock to buy from sell; shares were recently trading higher by $1.29, or 1.4%, at $96.95.Shares of small-cap wireless company InfoSonics (IFON) surged more than 75% on news of a handset deal with LG Electronics. Under the partnership, InfoSonics will distribute handsets for LG in the Caribbean and select countries in Latin America. InfoSonics shares were up $2.34, or 60.5%, at $6.21 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV