Telik Plunges After Drug Disappoints
Updated from 8:32 a.m. EST
Shares of Telik (TELK) were tanking after the company said its experimental cancer drug Telcyta failed to meet the preset goals of two separate late-stage clinical studies.
One trial was a 520-patient study designed to evaluate Telcyta in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. The drug was compared with gefitinib, and it didn't achieve a statistically significant improvement in overall survival, the primary endpoint.
A trial of the drug in ovarian cancer patients also disappointed, the biopharmaceutical company said. A 440-patient study comparing Telcyta with liposomal doxorubicin or topotecan fell short of its main target of demonstrating a statistically significant improvement in overall survival.Telik's stock was plunging $11.33, or 70%, to $4.93 early Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV