Schwab Buys 40l(k) Firm
True to its word, Charles Schwab (SCHW) is expanding further into the 401K business.
The nation's biggest discount brokerage is acquiring The 401(k) Company, a subsidiary of Nationwide Financial Services (NFS), for $115 million. The deal, announced Friday, is expected to close in the first quarter of 2007.
Observers had been speculating that the firm would use proceeds from the sale of its U.S. Trust subsidiary to purchase another online brokerage such as
(AMTD). But during an
In November, Schwab announced it was selling U.S. Trust, its asset management business that caters to the super rich, to Bank of America (BAC). Schwab expects to record a $1.9 billion pretax gain from the sale.Schwab already does 401K plan administration for small and medium-sized companies but is looking to get into the "mega plan segment," in which The 401(k) Company specializes in. The 401(k) Company services more than 100 companies and client assets of $21.7 billion. Shares of Schwab were down 4 cents to $19.08.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV