LBO Fever Stays Hot
Look for the sizzling market for leveraged buyouts to get even hotter in 2007.
Private-equity firms spent the past year playing a debt-fueled game of "Can you top this?" They pulled off one huge acquisition after another, unveiling a stunning $21 billion HCA deal in July and going on to gobble up giants like Clear Channel (CCU) and Harrah's (HET).
Now speculation is building that buyout firms are racing to pull the trigger on the biggest LBO ever, eclipsing the $25 billion bar set nearly two decades ago when Kohlberg Kravis Roberts bought RJR Nabisco. Predictions of a deal worth $50 billion, $75 billion, or even $100 billion have grown commonplace.
Though those figures are eye-popping, it's hard to argue with the logic. Private-equity firms took in more than $200 billion in new money from institutional investors in 2006, so buyers' wallets are fat. Meanwhile, Wall Street banks keep greasing the wheels by making it easy for private-equity firms to borrow huge sums.Given the huge egos on Wall Street and the massive banking and management fees at stake, you know that money's going to be spent -- and not quietly. Some warn that the LBO market could come to a screeching halt if banks start getting skittish about the debt being layered onto companies. Others wonder how all these debt-laden companies will manage to keep paying the bills and keep the lenders happy when the economy turns sour.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV