Thursday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of PMC-Sierra (PMCS) fell 5% after the chipmaker cut its fourth-quarter revenue forecast. The company now sees revenue of $100 million to $105 million, down from an earlier forecast of $105 million to $112 million. Analysts project revenue of $108.9 million.
"The revision in outlook for revenues is primarily attributable to changes in customer demand during the quarter related to the company's communications products," PMC said. Shares were falling 34 cents to $6.55.
Hauppauge Digital (HAUP) jumped 15% after the company said it swung to a fourth-quarter profit. The company, a developer of analog and digital TV receiver products, earned $50,920, or a penny a share, for the quarter ended Sept. 30. A year earlier, the company posted a loss of $864,371, or 9 cents a share. Revenue rose to $22.2 million from $15.4 million a year earlier.
"Helping the sales increase in the quarter was growth in sales of our digital TV tuner receivers for PCs and notebooks plus sales growth of TV receivers for Media Center PCs," Hauppauge said. "In addition, we saw a turnaround in European sales when compared to the previous year's fourth quarter." Shares were trading up 96 cents to $7.15.Other technology movers included Mamma.com (MAMA), up 98 cents to $8.29; Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI), down 2 cents to $3.77; Intel (INTC), down 15 cents to $20.45; Sun Microsystems (SUNW), down a penny to $5.57; Cisco Systems (CSCO), up 14 cents to $27.53; Microsoft (MSFT), down 2 cents to $30.07; Apple Computer (AAPL), down 12 cents to $84.64; and Alcatel Lucent (ALU), up 11 cents to $14.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV