Now that the party season is upon us, dull and lifeless sodas are taking a hike, and healthier, tastier adult soft drinks are taking over.
Having frequently been the designated driver, I am often resigned to an evening of boring beverages and am excited to even get a slice of lime with my Coke.
But finally, a better choice is emerging: High-impact independent sodas, formerly available only at health-food stores or gourmet delis, are springing up at your local chain grocery stores, Whole Foods (WFMI) and Trader Joe's.
An indie soda is a great party alternative to a cocktail, especially for those times you need to drive or you're imbibing at the company party.With dozens of flavors to choose from, the names of the sodas themselves seem to connote independence from the corporate world:
Bottled BenefitsIndie soda's calorie content often compares favorably with alcohol. Most beer brands weigh in around 150 calories per 12 ounces, with lite beer about two-thirds of that. Hard cocktails and wine are also caloric, with whiskey at 75 calorie per ounce and red wine nearly 100 calories per 4 ounces. Even a regular soda can have up to 160 calories for a 12-ounce can. Compare that to GuS, at around 90 calories for 12 ounces. Another plus of these adult sodas is that they are not as sweet as their big corporate counterparts. This more subtle sweetness -- without that heavy corn syrup overtone -- appeals to mature tastes. Also, many of these sodas are organic and use natural ingredients. For example, GuS is 100% natural, made with real juice and real flavor extracts, pasteurized and kosher, with no caffeine.
|The Full GuS Line|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV